This is my first ereader and I love it! I’ve been researching them for years and finally I’ve found one that worth buying.
- Super long battery life: it was half-charged when I pulled it out of the box. It’s been over a week and I have yet to charge it, even though I’ve been using it a couple of hours every day. Amazon claims a 2-month battery life, assuming you use it 1-hr per day and with little wifi, but at maximum brightness. That seems reasonable. Yet even if it’s half that, it’s amazingly good, considering how bright the display can be.
- Multi-touch display:Although it’s not as responsive as a iPhone/iPad, you can swipe and pinch all you want. Typing is also less responsive than a standard LCD touch screen, but you can certainly type and even use the free to-do list app.
- The screen is as bright as you want it: Ironically, I don’t like black text on a white background; I prefer black text on a gray background. I find it easier on my eyes, so I rarely boost the brightness to the max. However, it is amazing how bright it can get and that you can have a nice white background even in a bright room.
- The double helix nanoimprinted light guide technology: It lights up the eink perfectly and evenly, unlike any other ereader in the market today.
- Can’t play MP3s, unlike some other Kindles, so no audiobooks or podcasts.
- Like all Kindles, it doesn’t accept the industry-standard ePub format. As a result, if you like checking ebooks out of your library, your selection will be limited.
- The ads on the home screen are (so far) not very relevant to me. They’ve been offering Editor’s Picks, Young Adult Novels, and Mysteries/Suspense – none of these topics interest me at all. I hope (and expect) that the ads will become more personalized once Amazon sees what I read. Otherwise, it’s a huge waste of real estate on the home screen. (Luckily, that’s the only place where you’ll see such big ads – they won’t appear anywhere while you’re reading a book.)
For $119, it’s the best value of any ereader out there! I’m going to take this on my trip to all 54 countries next year.