Recently I went to the Boston Ballet. A childhood ballerina myself, I had no doubt I was going to adore the dances going in, but had little hope for the hubby. ”Please just stay awake, and I promise we’ll go to The Smith afterwards and order all your favorite things!”, I pleaded.
Come to find out, the Boston Ballet at Lincoln Center was a game changer. He LOVED it*. And honestly, I had never seen a ballet quite like it, it reminded me of the edgier troupe at the end of Center Stage that stole the audiences heart…a little less ballet that we think of in the traditional pink tutus and toe shoes, double pirouettes sense, and more theatrical performance art accompanied by techno rock music that keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering, “What’s next?” We saw the performances The Second Detail (my fave), New Work, and Cacti (the hubby was completely enchanted by this one!)
As promised, we did stop by the UWS’s Smith for a dinner of all his favorite things: cheesy grits, french fries, gnocchi, and baguettes. Carb-loading for a full night’s sleep, darlings!
Besides the ballet, Lincoln Center has plenty of other reasons to pay them a visit this summer, some of which are absolutely free. Here’s 5 of my fave freebies:
1. Midsummer Night Swing (You have to pay to get onto the dance floor, but you can enjoy the music, people and dancing from the sidelines without paying a cent!)
2. Napping on the Illumination Lawn.
3. Enjoying free musical performances at Target Free Thursdays.
4. Visiting the exhibit “Launchpad of the American Theater: The O’Neill since 1964” at the New York Library for the Performing Arts.
5. Meet The Artist Saturdays, happening the first Saturday of each month.
Which of these would you most like to check out this summer? Share below!