Because I know New York so well, everyone asks me where I should drink coffee, eat and drink, but besides the culinary questions, I always get asked where’s the best shopping? In other words, beyond Macy’s, “where should I shop for something I can only find in NYC?” While I can’t exactly tell you that the below list of stores will stock stuff you won’t be able to get elsewhere (disclaimer: it won’t), I can promise you this: the below list are stores that are unique to NYC, and do not have chains outside of the city.
Photo Credit: http://www.bakeorbreak.com/
These are 10 of my favorites, for the reasons listed. Happy Shopping!
- If you’re looking for really fun and kitchsy kitchen + table decor, head to Fishs Eddy.
- If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind bookstore experience, complete with both affordable and rare books, head to The Strand.
- If you’re looking for the perfect gift, head to Michele Varian.
- If you’re looking to deck out your doll house, head to Tiny Doll House.
- If you’re looking for amazing scents, perfumes, and candles, head to Aedes de Venustas.
- If you’re looking for a designer anything, head to Bergdorf Goodman. (Insider’s tip: make an afternoon out of it and have tea upstairs at BG’s. The views of the park are splendid, and they actually offer you a black cloth napkin if you happen to be wearing black, so as not to tarnish your pantsuit with white fibers.)
- If you’re looking for the perfect NYC-inspired foodie gift, head to Chelsea Market Basket.
- If you’re looking for pencils and related accessories, head to CW Pencil Enterprise.
- If you’re looking for a store that changes concepts every 4 to 8 weeks and features over 200 small businesses and brands, head to Story.
- If you’re looking to satisfy your sweet tooth and load up on vintage candy favorites, head to Economy Candy.