I know what I’m working on, usually, but you might not. So here is a short update of my various projects after being here in Sokode for 6 months.
- Computer Club with about 15- 20 students. We are creating a website together. I will let you know when it launches.
- Programming Class with about 10 students in the last year of Lycée. I have some incredibly bright students in this class and it is fun to teach them progrgamming, even as they are still learning pretty basic computer usage (typing)
- Training 5 teachers in basic computer skills so they can teach students themselves next year. We covered MS Windows, Word , Excel (including formulas and charts), image manipulation with GIMP and drawing with OpenOffice Draw. They also use OpenOffice.
- Teaching English at a computer training center. I try to focus on technical or business terms.
- A savings and loan womens group (think micro micro finance. The women save and loan all the money themselves)
- A new radio show once a week in English ( just starting)
- Occasionally going to various schools in the area and speaking in English or French about America and the Peace Corps. I love this, I find it really fun to hear their questions.
I also have some more personal relationships in which I help people one on one with technology or English, or business skills.
In other words, lots of fun stuff.